I use insects to classify the forest types of the Western Ghats. I am interested to understand the extent of abundance and endemism of different insect species. I relate this data with difference ecosystem processes and global changes. I am also interested in studying the insect functional group diversity of tropical forests. When I am not in lab or field I will be working with few NGOs for science popularization and engage in few youth empowerment programs. Whenever I get free time I like to travel a lot and interact with students as I am interested in Education policy studies and academic administration too. Occasionally I give career orientation and motivational talks, especially for graduate students.
1.Manoj K., Rajesh T.P., Ballullaya U.P., Meharabi K.M., Shibil V.K., ,Rajmohana K.and Sinu.P.A.2017. The diversity of Platygastridae in Leaf Litter and Understory Layers of Tropical Rainforests of the Western Ghats Biodiversity Hotspot, India. Environmental Entomology 46: 685 – 692.
2.Rajesh T.P., Ballullaya U.P., Surendran P and Sinu P.A.2017. Ants indicate urbanization pressure in sacred groves of southwest India: a pilot study. Current Science (in Press)
3.Sinu P.A.,Ballullaya U.P.,Rajesh T.P.,Reshmi K.S., Manoj.K.,Margaret Lowman. 2017. Stakeholder motivation for conservation of sacred groves: an analysis of environmental perceptions of rural and urban neighborhood communities (submitted)
Palatty Allesh Sinu.,Sangeetha Varma.,U.Prashanth Ballullaya.,G.Asha and Prabitha Mohan.(2016).Natural history and behavioral ecology of bees.In Palatty Allesh Sinu and K.R.Shivanna(Ed.),Mutualistic interactions between flowering plants and animals (pp.50-70).Manipal University Press.
Outreach and student activities
- Electoral roll ambassador, representing Central University of Kerala during Special Summary Revision of Electoral roll 2013 by District Administration Kasaragod.
- The General Secretary, Student’s Council, Central University of Kerala 2012-2013 and 2014-15
- District Project fellow of Kerala State Biodiversity Board (People’s Biodiversity Register project)
- Guest lecturer, Department of Zoology, Govt. College Kasaragod.
- District co-ordinator, Swadeshi Science Movement, Kerala
- Workshop on “Pollination of flowers by insects from ecology to chemistry and behavior”, 9-13 January 2016, IISER Trivandrum
- Post conference workshop in “Biostatistics: An introduction to R, 1st march to 3rd march 2016, Department of Animal science, Central university of Kerala.